For this weeks sermon click here: Does Jesus Know You?
Readings: Luke 19:28-19:44 Matthew 7:21-7:23
- Read Luke 19:28-19:44; discuss what you know about what was going on in this account from Luke (much of the usual focus on this was missed from the sermon, but if you need more background refer to older sermons on Palm Sunday online, check out other accounts and cross references to other scripture).
- Talk through the implications of how the tail end of this reading fits in with Jesus’ words in Matthew 7:21-7:23.
- Consider how we ought to be applying this and why so often people coast along in church without making that commitment to Christ?
- There is a prophecy here: EU Brexit? please read it and discuss it as a group.
Here’s the link to the Sermon: Light at the end of the tunnel
Reading: Amos 9
- In v1 We see the Lord standing close by as destruction is carried out – why does Amos not want us to miss this point? Is God aloof?
- Why is it important to remember that ALL nations and people are important to him in light of v7 ?
- What does Remnant mean in terms of the Jewish people and what does ‘House of David ‘ mean in v11? Discuss the two different meanings of buildings/people.
- The society in which we live is no different to Amos’ day. Is it ok for us to live how we want to live in this time of Grace.
- What day is Amos talking about here in v11 and what precedes the Jews’ worldwide return to Israel? v11
- What promise does God make after their return? v15 Why does the Lord keep a Remnant ?
Here’s the link to the Sermon: What is the thing you can’t live without?
Reading: Amos 8
- What did the Lord show to Amos in Amos 8:1-2, what did it mean and how does those verses apply to us today?
- In Amos 8: 3-6 there is a description of the Israelites attitude to the Sabbath and other holy days.
- Discuss the difference between the Lord’s Day and the Sabbath. How should we keep the Lord’s Day?
- What was the thrust of God’s words through Amos in these verses?
- What does the Lord say in Amos 8:7?
- How does that fit in with other verses offering forgiveness?
- Which verses can you find where God promises to forgive?
- What is the Lord going to do in Amos 8:11-12? Has this happened already or is it a prophecy, yet to be fulfilled? Discuss and explain.
- Amos and some of the other Minor Prophets can be a bit challenging in places. What would we miss if we didn’t tackle the less well known parts of the bible?
- As a group consider whether there are areas of teaching which people would like to (or feel they ought to hear), [Group leaders – please feedback any comments]