A study on Mark 9:30-50. If you missed the sermon on Sunday you can find it here: Ready Salted Christians
- Why was Jesus going the quiet way back to Capernaum?
- Jesus had one topic in mind and the disciples another; discuss what’s going on here;
- Discuss verses 35 – 37 what are the key points Jesus is making here?
- In verse 38 John changes the subject, discuss Jesus answer and what we can learn from these verses;
- In verses 43-48 Jesus talks about radical surgery, what is the point that Jesus is making here? In what sense are we to ‘cut off a foot or a hand’ etc.
- What does verse 49 mean? Discuss.
This week’s study is based on the sermon Might you be suffering from IF…itis? and Mark 9:1-29.
- What was going on before the “Jesus went on to say” in verse1?
- What did it mean Jesus was transformed? What was the point of it?
- Moses and Elijah turn up… Why?
- What’s with the talking cloud?
- What was the problem with the boy in verse 17?
- Would the boy have been free of the demon if these disciples had prayed about it?
- What’s the only way to never be disappointed in yourself?
This study is based on the above passage and you may find it helpful to listen to the accompanying sermon: Three Steps…
- Take a few minutes to recap on what has been going on since Mark 7:1.
- Discuss the healing of the blind man: what was unusual, what was similar to other healings, as well as the man being healed what was going on here?
- What do you know about Caesarea Philippi and the journey?
- Why do you think the disciples got the right answer about who Jesus is, and what was wrong about their ideas as to what that would mean for Him (and them)?
- Discuss Peter’s response to Jesus talking about the cross – what might we learn?
- There are three steps to following Jesus – discuss the difficulties we face in following them and how we can encourage, challenge and help each other along in our following Him together.