A study on Isaiah 60:1-6 based on the sermon Rise and Shine
- When you think of Advent, what do you think…? Discuss this as a group.
- Compare Isaiah 5:20 with Isaiah 60:2. How does that help us understand what kind of darkness is meant here?
- [This is a question that will take some time] The New Testament is scattered with talk of light and dark, turn some up (Hint: Matthew, John, Ephesians, 1 John, Revelation) and see how they relate to our reading, and talk through how they should impact the Christian life.
- How can Christ’s light shine through us, to enable others to see the truth, and what, in our lives, might be a hindrance to that?
A short study on Isaiah 9:1-7
If you missed the sermon you can pick it up at: It is written it will happen!
- Where are verses 1 and 2 quoted in the New Testament? What does this teach us about the meaning of the passage?
- What blessing is promised in verses 3-5? (Discuss the reference to Midian. cf. Judges 7)
- Who is predicted in verses 6 and 7? Explain what these verses teach about His role.
- Talk about the significance of each name used for Him [* Wonderful Counsellor –* Mighty God –* Everlasting Father –* Prince of Peace], what do they mean for Israel, for us today and in their future fulfilment?
- If you haven’t covered it in your discussions, pick up on the application for us today, this advent.