Some questions from Russell, based on his sermon: Peace and Persecution
Read Matthew 5:1-12
- What is a Peacemaker? Why are we called to be Peacemakers?
- Discuss the difference between Peace the world offers and what Peace God gives?
Choose an example and discuss why you chose it.
- Read Luke 6:27-28 – What ways can we as Christians show peace to those who are indifferent?
- What is persecution? Have you ever experienced it in any form? And how did that make you feel?
- Looking at v11 – What is our response to this? And why is there such great joy and blessing from such suffering?
- Take a moment or two and pray for our brothers & sisters caught up in persecution.
This study is based on the sermon: Need an attitude adjustment?
Reading: Matthew 5:6-8
- How do you feel when the Lord reminds you through His Word, or a sermon about a need to change your attitude?
- Verse 6:
- what does it mean to hunger and thirst?
- what might cause us to lose our appetite for God, and the things of God?
- how can that be remedied?
- Verse 7:
- what is mercy?
- what is the condition on us being shown mercy?
- what if we don’t feel merciful?
- Verse 8:
- what does a pure heart look like?
- how can you have a pure heart?
- what does it mean to see God; is that a promise for now or for the future?
- Homework: ask the Lord to show you any areas in your life where there needs to be an ‘attitude adjustment’, and follow that up with a commitment to let Him do that work with you and for you.
A study based on the sermon: Are You On The Inheritance List?
Start off by reading Matthew 5:1-12, then re-read verse 5
1 – What is meek and what isn’t?
2 – How would taking the first two beatitudes seriously lead us to be “meek”
3 – Can you be meek and angry at the same time? (James 1:19-21) Meek and have strong convictions? (Galatians 2:11-14)
4 – What does “meekness” look like: -In business… -In school… -In our church… -In your neighbourhood…
5 – How does someone become meek? How can God change you in the following behaviours and attitudes? (Matthew 11:28-30)
6 – Where do we learn the attitudes listed on the left and what is our motivation for living out the attitudes on the right?
7 – From the world’s point of view, why is it surprising that the meek will inherit the earth?
Over the past couple of weeks we’ve had a look at two of the beatitudes found in Matthew 5:1-12; sermons can be found here:
The Be – Attitudes Part 1
Happy Are The Sad !!
- What has been going on before this ‘sermon on the mount’?
- Who is Jesus talking to and how have his words here been twisted and misconstrued by people from other faiths, atheists and even Christians?
- Take some time discussing the first two statements of Jesus about being poor in spirit and mourning, don’t rush through the discussion but try and deal with each in as much depth as possible and consider how we should apply each to our lives today.
- Spend some time seeking the Lord in Prayer for the life and work of New Connexions