This study is based on Mark 4:35-41 and the sermon The Teacher Tests Us
- What is the setting of this passage, i.e. what has been going on during the day before we get to the ‘that evening’ in our passage?
- Did Jesus know that there would be a storm? If so, why did He tell His disciples to sail into it?
- How do we know whether our circumstances are as a result of, spiritual attack, our own disobedience or our obedience?
- Why does Jesus test us, and what should we expect to learn through that testing?
- take a look at our verses of the year and compare them to this passage. How might our following the encouragements of those verses enable us to support one another and be supported in the storms that come our way?
- Spend some time lifting up the work and life of God’s Church at New Connexions in prayer.
A Study on Mark 4:21-34 based on the sermon The Kingdom of God
- Discuss your understanding of the reasons why Jesus began to speak in parables?
- Read vs 21-25 In this parable how do you understand the imagery of the lamp and what does this mean for Christians today?
- Why is it important for us to “consider carefully what we hear”? What are the consequences of doing or not doing this?
- Read vs 26-29 Once the seed (God’s word) has been sown, is that the end of our responsibility? If not, what else can we do to enable the seed to bear fruit?
- Read vs 30-34 Consider the size of the church when these words were spoken and how far it has spread in the following centuries.
- Discuss what you consider are the greatest threats to church growth today?
A study on Mark 4:1-20 based on the sermon Sowing the seed of love…
- Read the first two verses and discuss how you imagine the scene as Jesus is teaching;
- Read the rest of the passage. Why might people not understand the parable?
- discuss each of the 4 soil/soul types.
- How ought we apply this passage to our own lives?
- Spend some time in prayer, seeking the Lord’s leading in our life as a church and His protection, wisdom, boldness and compassion as we’re obedient to Him.
Sierra Leone has a major set of elections on March 7th this year.
The country will go to the polls and vote for new:
- District Council Chairmen.
- for this process to be honest, fair, and democratic;
- that Christians will become more prominent in the ruling positions in Sierra Leone;
- for a Christian President.