A study on Isaiah 60:1-6 based on the sermon Rise and Shine
- When you think of Advent, what do you think…? Discuss this as a group.
- Compare Isaiah 5:20 with Isaiah 60:2. How does that help us understand what kind of darkness is meant here?
- [This is a question that will take some time] The New Testament is scattered with talk of light and dark, turn some up (Hint: Matthew, John, Ephesians, 1 John, Revelation) and see how they relate to our reading, and talk through how they should impact the Christian life.
- How can Christ’s light shine through us, to enable others to see the truth, and what, in our lives, might be a hindrance to that?
This study is based on the sermon: God’s priority for praying together
- Read Act 6: 1-5
- What does the bible, generally have to say on corporate prayer (prayer meetings)?
- Why do church prayer meetings in the west lack attendance? Are prayer meetings important…? Discuss. If so who should get along to prayer meetings?
- What should prayer meetings be like, is there a general rule of what to do?
- Discuss the difference between prayer and church growth in Europe, North America, Australasia and Asia, The Middle East, and Africa.
- Do you feel challenged by this study?
Pray for the fellowship of Ebenezer Lumley and the family of Rev.Angel Ama-Lamin who died recently. Peter had the privilege to pray for him whilst in Sierra Leone.
Pray for the new clinic which has been established at The Theological College at Jui. This clinic will serve the local community. Pray especially for the little girl with third degree burns to her leg.
Pray for the patients and staff at the hospital at Koidu. Peter and Janet were given the opportunity to visit and pray for individuals, including Muslims. They also met Victoria a three year old who had accidentally been pushed backwards into boiling water. Her chance of survival is minimal but with prayer and God’s intervention a miracle is possible.
Sierra Leone is heading for elections early next year and the process has started with voter registration. Pray against any form of violence approach that electoral process and for God to lead the people of this country to vote for the right person.
Pray for wisdom for Bishop Theophilus as he makes important decisions. Pray also for Magnus, Daniel and Alex as they advise and support the Bishop.
Thank God for the wonderful work that is happening at Bethesda. Pray for Allusine, Musa and Issa as they have been reunited to their family but desire to be back at Bethesda. Thank God for Aminata and Sallie and pray that He will heal Sallie from her discomfort.
Thank God for the stoic teachers in our schools; against all odds they continue to give their best. Also pray for our pastors; for safety in travel, protection against illness and a fresh vitality in their ministry.
Some questions from Russell, based on his sermon: Peace and Persecution
Read Matthew 5:1-12
- What is a Peacemaker? Why are we called to be Peacemakers?
- Discuss the difference between Peace the world offers and what Peace God gives?
Choose an example and discuss why you chose it.
- Read Luke 6:27-28 – What ways can we as Christians show peace to those who are indifferent?
- What is persecution? Have you ever experienced it in any form? And how did that make you feel?
- Looking at v11 – What is our response to this? And why is there such great joy and blessing from such suffering?
- Take a moment or two and pray for our brothers & sisters caught up in persecution.