A study on Mark 9:30-50. If you missed the sermon on Sunday you can find it here: Ready Salted Christians
- Why was Jesus going the quiet way back to Capernaum?
- Jesus had one topic in mind and the disciples another; discuss what’s going on here;
- Discuss verses 35 – 37 what are the key points Jesus is making here?
- In verse 38 John changes the subject, discuss Jesus answer and what we can learn from these verses;
- In verses 43-48 Jesus talks about radical surgery, what is the point that Jesus is making here? In what sense are we to ‘cut off a foot or a hand’ etc.
- What does verse 49 mean? Discuss.
“But watch out! Be careful never to forget what you yourself have seen. Do not let these memories escape from your mind as long as you live! And be sure to pass them on to your children and grandchildren.”
The importance of sharing the truth of God with the next generation was made clear to Israel. Were we inspired to write these words today, we would have no doubt written them in CAPITALS, underlined and bold. Look at the urgency in this verse – watch out!
As that need was urgent in Old Testament days, it is urgent now. Israel was (and is!) surrounded by hostile and ungodly nations, and hostile and ungodly influences were bombarding them from the world around them. Today the church is bombarded by the same influences – God is a God of love and justice: He knows very well the temptations that will come to water down His word to be ‘more palatable’ to those around who want to continue living rebellious lives, He knows of the lies the enemy will weave to lure future generations to step away from the truth of His word, a little here and a little there… He knows that without good examples, without lives lived showing His Grace and Mercy in action, without firm discipline and full love, children will be left to wander away from Him.
Today, let us give thanks to The Lord for our church family, and lift the children entrusted to us to Him in prayer, and let us, as a church family, recommit ourselves to Him, asking Him to help us to be sure to share His word, show His love, and teach of His righteousness and justice. We must too give thanks for our human families, pray for marriages and relationships within our church, and ask Him to enrich us by His Spirit as we seek to live obediently by His grace, showing Him in our lives to this generation and the next.
Children’s Prayer Activity
Thank God for the family you are part of and for your church family. Why not draw a
picture/take a photo of your family and use it as you pray to God today.
A study on Hosea 11 and 12, based on the sermon: Come Back!
- How much can you see of future fulfilled and yet to be fulfilled prophecy? why is it important for the modern church to have a right understanding of prophecy?
- Talk through chapter 11 verse 2; how could that happen? does it happen today?
- Discus how God’s relationship with His people is similar and dissimilar to a human parent-child relationship;
- How does God’s anger differ from human anger? Is human anger ever right? discuss;
- Discus chapter 12 verse 4; how had Bethel changed from Jacob’s time to Hosea’s