If you’ve not picked up the sermon on this passage yet, you can find it here – UP AGAINST IT!
We’re looking at Acts 4: 1-22.
- When did this account happen? As a group sketch out a rough timeline between ‘Good Friday’ and this account.
- What do we know about the characters mentioned in this description.
- Can we learn anything about how the authorities were dealing with the resurrection of Jesus, and how they were explaining it?
- Discuss healing. Does God always heal, never heal or sometimes heal today, and why does He do it, or not…?
- There were a lot of brief points thrown out in the sermon, which were considered helps for us today. Can you recall any? Or list a number of your own as a group?
- After discussion, spend some time in prayer focussing on the persecuted church, and our own situation as people called to be “Salt & Light”
Read Luke 24:13-33
Catch up on the sermon if you missed it – here it is: A walk with Jesus (message)
- Put yourself in the place of the people in verses 13-24. What are they doing, thinking and feeling? Why does Jesus ask the two what they are discussing (verse 17) and “what things” had been going on lately (verse 19)?
- Sum up Cleopas and the other disciple’s answers? What do you make of their understanding of who Jesus is?
- Look at verses 25-27. Is Jesus being hard on the disciples? Why or why not? What is he particularly concerned about? Why do you think it was “necessary”for the Messiah to “suffer these things and then enter into his glory”?
- Jesus showed them the passages all through the Bible that were about Him. What are some of these passages that he might have mentioned? Here are some to get you started(Genesis 3:15; Numbers 21:6-9 [cf. John 3:14-15]; Deuteronomy 18:15; Psalms 22; 16:8-11; 118:22-23; Isaiah 11:1-7; 53:1-6; 61:1 [with Luke 4:18-22]; Daniel 7:13-14 [cf. Matthew 26:64].), but there are many more, try and find as many as you can.
- What do you think it means that their hearts “burned within them” when Jesus explained the Scriptures to them (verse 32)? Have you ever experienced this as you’ve read your bible?
- What has changed about the disciples understanding about Jesus, and what is the effect?